Breasts are a symbol of motherhood and femininity, and have a special importance because they affect a woman’s psychological health. Breast reduction surgery can be a blessing for large-breasted women affected by the weight of their breasts. Most women undergoing breast reduction are young and healthy.
Men with “man boobs” also benefit from breast reduction surgery. Men with gynecomastia made up 40% of breast reduction surgeries in 2016!
What is the problem with large breasts?
Large breasts lead to neck, back and shoulder pain, and sleep and breathing problems. Studies report that large breasts affect body image and can cause anxiety and depression as well as poor self-esteem and self-confidence. Heavy breasts also make it difficult to exercise. “Grandma” bras are embarrassing, and social situations can be distressing.
What is breast reduction surgery?
Breast reduction surgery is performed to reduce the size, volume and weight of the breasts, to improve their shape, and to elevate breast position on the chest. The objective of this surgery is a good cosmetic outcome. The breasts are elevated, symmetrical, and rounded with good projection, and are in harmony with the rest of the body.
Studies document the benefits of pain relief and improved self-esteem, sexual function and quality of life.
Who is a good candidate?
- Women with excessively large breasts who experience back neck, and shoulder pain caused by the strain of large, heavy breasts. They may also have bra strap grooves on their shoulders from supporting large breasts.
- Women who have no physical symptoms, but are unhappy with the size of their breasts and seek reduction surgery to improve their appearance, reduce social stigma and improve wardrobe choices.
- Women who are physically healthy, have realistic expectations, don’t smoke and are bothered by their large breasts.
- Women who limit their physical activity due to their breasts.
- Women who experience skin irritation beneath their breast crease.
Dr. Powell will listen to your concerns and evaluate your health and medical history. He will inquire as to your family history of breast cancer, and whether you have had any procedures or conditions that can affect your breast health. He will examine your breasts, take detailed measurements of size, shape and skin quality; take photographs, discuss your options and recommend a treatment plan for you. He may also request that you have a mammogram before surgery.
Your treatment plan is individualized to your needs, and goals. You will also receive a detailed explanation of potential risks and an explanation of the procedure.
Dr. Carl Powell from Powell Cosmetic Surgery in San Diego, is a board-certified cosmetic breast surgeon with significant experience and expertise. He is a kind and compassionate doctor who will address your concerns and give you the best, most natural cosmetic result.
Breast reduction surgery
This is outpatient surgery performed under general anesthesia. Also called a reduction mammoplasty, this surgery removes excess breast tissue, fat and skin to achieve a breast size that is in proportion with your body, relieve the discomfort associated with overly large breasts.